In the country, skin cancer is considered to be one of the more common kinds of cancer. Also, melanoma is one of the most serious kinds of skin cancer, but it is less prevalent too. Extended exposure to the sun over a long period of time is considered one of the reasons for developing this kind of cancer. This is why doctors recommend that you examine your body thoroughly once a month. Moreover, by being aware of the symptoms and causes of skin cancer, you can prevent this disease or get it treated early on.
Most of the signs of aging comes from exposure to the sun. The sun’s ultraviolet rays affect the elastin in the skin. These fibers are responsible for maintaining the elasticity in your skin. Once they begin to disappear, the skin begins to sag and appear aged. Since this happens over a long time, it reflects as aging. So, increased exposure to the sun puts you at a greater risk of developing skin cancer.
When you’re looking at the symptoms and causes of skin cancer, remember that excessive tanning can be dangerous too, as it damages skin cells. This can lead to early aging signs and ultimately put you at a greater risk of skin cancer.
Let’s take a look at the several symptoms of skin cancer.
- Abnormal Moles or Patches
Abnormal moles or growths must be evaluated at the earliest. If a pre-existing mole has become larger or looks patchy or scaly, it is time to consult a physician to rule out skin cancer. You must be concerned about new moles that look unusual or different. Have you noticed enlarged moles or lesions that itch and/or bleed? Furthermore, if these lesions have not healed on their own, it is time to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist.
- Changes in Color and Texture
Basal cell carcinoma presents itself as
- A flat patch or a yellow patch of skin that looks like a scar.
- An itchy patch of skin that is red and angry.
- Bumps on the skin that may look pearly, pink, and translucent. These bumps may have blue, black, or brown areas within them.
- Open sores are a clear warning sign, especially, when they are open and crusty, do not heal, or heal but return.
- Pink growths that have raised corners and lower centers. In some cases, abnormal blood vessels may appear around them as spokes in a wheel.
- Changes in Skin Appearance
Squamous cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that typically presents itself in the form of
- Red scaly growth or patch on the skin.
- A growth that looks like a wart.
So, keep these symptoms and causes of skin cancer in mind and seek medical help at the earliest. This will ensure effective treatment.